Looking for a new career? Currently out of work? Need new skills training?
Let’s explore what employment service or training package we can help you with!
As a job seeker, we provide all types of assistance to youth and adults who are involved in school part-time, working limited hours and individuals who are currently out work and school.
Most services are free. The John Howard Society Employment and Training Services sites are warm, welcoming and positive environments that are equipped to support you through your job search with a variety of free services and resources. Both our Oshawa and Whitby locations are accessible. Our Oshawa Branch is located at 75 Richmond Street with an accessibility door at the rear of the building. Our Whitby branch location has an accessibility elevator in the North-west corner of the Perry Street Parking lot located at 114 Dundas Street East, Suite 200.
We invite you to visit, take a tour and learn more about other employment opportunities that might be right for you!
Free Community Outreach Services
- A variety of pre-employment Workshops and Information Sessions delivered to Public, Catholic, and Alternative Schools, as well as other community organizations and agencies with material can be tailored to fit individual or organizational needs. Book now
Employment Resource Centre
Our Resource and Information section of service is open to the community at large regardless of your employment status.
- A current Job Board with various employment opportunities
- Computers Access with Hi-speed Internet and Wi-Fi
- Fax, Printer and Photocopier Services
- Telephone Service
- Access to Current Labour Market Information
- Virtual Job Board
Job Search Supports and Career Building Technique Workshops
Our diverse team of Professionals can assist through training workshops and information sessions.
- One to One support from an Employment Advisors
- Resume and Cover Letter Development Workshops
- Interview Practice and Preparation Workshop
- Job Search Techniques and Methods Workshops
- Second Career Orientation
- Apprenticeship Orientation
- Skills Upgrading
- Training Services can include: Smart Serve, Personality Dimensions, BASICS.fst Course – Basic Food Safety Course – National wide, W.H.M.I.S On-line Training and Worker Health and Safety Awareness Training
On-site Employer Advisors provide guidance and assistance with:
Job Training and Retention Services
- Job Coaching
- Training and volunteer-based opportunities
- Follow- up
Job Matching & Placement Services
- Access to the Hidden Job Market
- Job Trials, Placements and Supports
- Additional benefits and incentives
Youth Employment Services
Our various programming for youth aged 15 to 30 consists of assisting youth who face complex and multiple barriers to employment; as well as youth who are currently in school and are planning to return to school in the fall. Year round support is available on and off site.